Following our recent tragedy, UCAT and Student Life’s Counseling and Consultation Service have put together a few tips to help you when working with students. Our office is always available to consult on these steps.
For complete information see: http://ucat.osu.edu/blog/aftermath-tragedy/
- Take time to talk as a group or class.
- Have students discuss “facts” first, then shift to emotions.
- Invite students to share emotional, personal responses.
- Respect each person’s dealing with the loss.
- Be prepared for blaming.
- It is normal for people to seek an “explanation” of why the tragedy occurred.
- Make contact with those students who appear to be reacting in unhealthy ways.
- Find ways of memorializing the loss, if appropriate.
- Thank students for sharing, and remind them of resources on campus.
- Give yourself time to reflect.
- Come back to the feelings as a group at a later time.
University Center for the Advancement of Teaching
2nd Floor Younkin Success Center
1640 Neil Avenue · Columbus, OH 432o1
Phone: (614) 292-3644 · Fax: (614) 688-5496 · Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Counseling and Consultation Service
Younkin Success Center, 4th Floor
1640 Neil Avenue · Columbus, OH 43201
Lincoln Tower, 10th Floor
1800 Cannon Drive, Columbus, OH 43210
Phone: 614-292-5766 | Fax: 614-688-3440 | ccs.osu.edu
Adapted and used by permission of Villanova University Counseling Center