Faculty Learning Community on Sustainability Across the Curriculum
The OSTEP Community on Sustainability Across the Curriculum offers faculty a year-long opportunity to focus on infusing sustainability issues into an existing class or designing a new class to focus on those issues. Participants will work on their target classes as part of a community of peers. This program has been designed to expand the inventory of classes at Ohio State that focus on sustainability as a lens through which students will examine and act upon our shared world systems, including but not limited to energy, environment, food systems, economic justice, and globalization.
Participants will be supported in developing course content, student activities, and appropriate pedagogies by establishing collegial relationships across disciplines and reinforcing a faculty culture that brings the scholarship of teaching and research together. Classes developed in this community are expected to be offered at least once before Spring 2013. More information about this and other OSTEP programs is available at the UCAT page on Ohio State Teaching Enhancement Programs.
This year’s application deadline has passed. We will begin accepting applications for the 2012-13 academic year in April 2012.
Selection Process and Criteria
- All faculty members are eligible to apply for the program, as are staff and GTAs whose departments will allow them to design and teach a class. Two or three participants will be selected from all applicants to join the existing community.
- Applications will be reviewed by the steering committee for OSTEP.
- Consideration will be given to the quality of the proposed project, the diversity of this cohort (e.g., gender, ethnicity; disciplinary distribution), and commitment to being a member of a community.
- Preference will be given to classes with broad impact, such as general education classes and courses open to large numbers of students enrolled in a variety of programs.
- Decisions will be made jointly by the committee and UCAT.
- If you already have applied for the 2011-2012 academic year but have not yet received confirmation of receipt, please contact us.
- The program will start in the Autumn Quarter 2011 and end in the Spring Quarter 2012.
- Each participant will receive $1000 for teaching enhancement activities (e.g., attending a teaching conference; purchasing books on teaching; et al.).
For further information, please contact us.